UTZ has a wide range of requirements aimed at safeguarding nature, biodiversity and our climate. Farmers are trained to be careful and efficient in the way they use land, water, raw materials and energy.
- Respect for protected areas, plant and animal life and water sources
- Preventing deforestation and planting shade trees
- Optimizing and reducing the use of artificial fertilizers and pesticides
- Efficient waste collection, processing and recycling
- Using energy carefully and encouraging the use of sustainable energy sources
Because of the UTZ project I know about climate change and that we cannot stop it. But we can find good practices to cope with it, such as a better soil and water management. I now plant shade trees and use much less fertilizers.
Levan Bang (62), coffee farmer in Vietnam