There are 3 types of costs that may apply to the members of the UTZ coffee program:
UTZ charges a volume-based program fee of US $33,07 per metric ton (MT) of UTZ coffee in green coffee equivalent:
Until 31st Dec, 2020
- To the manufacturer of coffee extract, aroma, color, liquor or any other coffee-based product, or;
- To the packer of coffee in consumer-end product (with or without an UTZ claim)
From 1st Jan, 2021
- Coffee purchases confirmed by the importer in MultiTrace through December 31, 2020, will continue to be billed to the supply chain actor(s) when the coffee is redeemed (traced) in the system
- Coffee purchases confirmed by the importer from January 1, 2021, are invoiced to the importer directly
- When the coffee is consumed in the country of origin and not exported, however, the supply chain actor redeeming (tracing) the volume in MultiTrace will continue to be invoiced in 2021.
If you are the first buyer of the UTZ certified coffee, you will negotiate directly with the producer or producer group on the UTZ premium – an additional cash amount paid above the market price you would pay for a similar conventional (non-certified/non-verified) product. The premium needs to be indicated in the UTZ traceability system.
If a certification audit is required to verify compliance with the Chain of Custody Standard, please contact one of the approved Certification Bodies (CBs). UTZ does not set the price for audit costs, nor interferes in the negotiation process, but we recommend that you contact various CBs to get the best possible offer (availability, costs, etc.).
The program fee is the only cost that UTZ charges to coffee members in order to support and sustain our coffee program. There is no fee charged for use of the UTZ label on finished products.
You too can join the UTZ coffee program.