What is UTZ? When first explaining UTZ to your colleagues and consumers or other customers, it can take some time to find the quickest and most accurate answer to this question. With our UTZ wheel, we are making the answer easier than ever. The UTZ wheel is a simple and interactive visual that gets to the core of the UTZ mission and method, with minimal explanation needed. You can use it to educate your employees or customers about what UTZ does and why it matters.
How does it work?
The icon at the center of the UTZ wheel means “Better Farming, Better Future”. This is more than just a motto — this is what all of the actions taken at UTZ lead back to and what drives us forward.
The four icons on the left show what farmers need to implement in order to become UTZ certified, and the four icons on the right represent what benefits those efforts lead to. Everything on the wheel is interconnected and amplified by one another.
Take it one step further
If you click on each icon, it will take you to a 30 second video that further explains this specific piece of the UTZ program and takes you directly to the farmers in field, highlighting the requirements and impacts of the program. Each video gives you a greater feel and understanding for what the UTZ program entails. Here’s the basics of what you’ll learn:
- Better farming methods: With better and more efficient farming methods that safeguard the environment, farmers get more out of their land, which leads to increased productivity, better crops and a better income for workers.
- Better working conditions: Farmers need to create a healthy and safe work environment for all their workers. Solid and respectful working conditions must be upheld and are checked by independent certification bodies.
- Better care for nature: Farmers implement agricultural methods that make better use of resources and minimize the use of artificial fertilizers and other harmful practices.
- Better care for next generations: Within the UTZ program farmers take steps to ensure that their children and those of their workers grow up in healthy circumstances with access to education. UTZ requirements ban child labor and sessions are held to increase awareness around the importance of education.
UTZ contributes to:
- Better crop: Farmers in the UTZ program are trained in good agricultural practices. That means they produce more, and achieve better quality at lower costs.
- Better income: Farmers with better crops have better prospects. A higher yield means a bigger income, so farmers can invest in the future of their families, business and their workers.
- Better environment: UTZ certified farms work with respect for the environment and in harmony with nature. Water and energy reduction measures are implemented, pollution is reduced, and natural resources are conserved.
- Better life: More and more UTZ farmers and workers report a better quality of life with safer and healthier environments, more motivation and greater access to educational opportunities for their children.
Put it to use
Share this page with colleagues or download the UTZ wheel from our resource library and see for yourself how easy it is to explain the UTZ program. The visual is available in 7 languages. Want to have it in your language? Just let us know and we’re happy to help you out.